Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Birthday

Dear Self,

So, another year down. Where are we now... Married, still wondering what job you'll be doing and more firmly entrenched in the 35+ demographic. 30 was easy and at 35 you could still claim to be a part of the 18-35, pop-culture-dictating machine. At 36, however, you got thrust into that new demographic that says you no longer have any bearing on pop-culture. Shortly, you'll just stop marking what the actual number is and just enjoy the cake.

Did anyone tell you how wonderful you are today? How intelligent and beautiful you are? How grateful they were that you were born?...Did you believe them? (sheepish shrug, naaa, they had to say nice stuff ...its my birthday) Well you should! Never mind the nagging voices in your head telling you that the Saturday puzzle you did in under 15 minutes, is not a "New York Times" puzzle, and therefore, you are not smart. Never mind it when they tell you that the "personal silly putty" you carry around on your belly or the "jiggle in your wiggle" is overwhelmingly disgusting, and for pete's sake, for heaven's sake, for sanity's sake, never mind those silly "40 things to do before you're 40" lists.

Happy Birthday, I love you.

Love,

Your Other Self...(the one who got the pretty eyes)

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to my best friend, confidant and my beautiful "little" girl(you will always be that to me). I am so proud to call you my daughter and so proud of the wonderful, beautiful woman, mother and wife that you have become.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it count if *I* say those things?

    You are all I've ever wanted in a best friend, even though miles and miles keep us apart, you are here forever in my heart.

    And you are the hottest Mom I know...so there.
    (You've both got pretty eyes, FWIW)

    Love, Di, who has boring, boring brown eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for loving yourself! I think it's too easy for women to forget to do that.

    36 wasn't a problem for me, but 37 was. Suddenly I was no longer in my mid-30s and was at the beginning of my late 30s and I hated it.

    I'll be 40 in 2 weeks and haven't decided how I feel about it yet.

    ReplyDelete