Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy Birthday!!!

Can you do me a favor? Pretend that the little blue date at the top of this post actually says March 3, 2009. Ok? Just quietly go about your business, pretending that I DO NOT have insane procrastination skillz and return to our regularly scheduled warm and fuzzy post.


Dear Catherine,

17 years ago today(ish), I had no idea that my beautiful daughter was being born.(sorry 'bout that. If I had known, I'd have bought you a bib or box of diapers or something). I met you 7 years later and knew from our first date (Toy Story 2 and Dairy Queen, remember?) that I wanted you, as a part of my life, forever. You were so confidantly outspoken for a 7 year old, so adorable with your silky dark hair cut in bangs, you would jump fearlessly at any opportunity to try something new, with a zest for living life to the fullest, a skill that, even today, I find myself needing to consciously remind myself to do.

As you have grown up, your silky dark bangs have grown out and your adorableness now combines with beauty. You never cease to amaze me with your ability to jump confidantly into a new situation (or 50 degree swimming pool).

Though, your heart, beats as a warrior's on the basketball court, you never fail to give your team mates praise or reassurance after a mishap. Your clever wit and enormous heart are evidenced by the, also amazing, young women who call you "best friend" and choose to spend their time with you.

I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to be a part of your life. I am so proud of the young lady you are becoming and I love you and proudly call you daughter, not because I gave birth to you, but, because you are part of my heart.






1 comment: